03 Dec The Holidays are coming
Preparations for business washrooms over the festive period
Christmas will soon upon us and the toilet or washroom area for businesses can be a tricky place to deal with over the festive period – depending on what type of business you have.
The hospitality sector is of course supremely busy right now and probably where the washrooms are being put to the test. We are certain that a well-run venue will have already sorted consumables for the toilets and most decent washroom or janitorial businesses will give their customers a call to ensure that they have sufficient stocks and are well aware of delivery dates over the busy spell.
After saying all this, we still get calls from businesses that have been let down over the festive period and need an emergency service call or delivery of something essential. So for all the bars, restaurants, hotels destination venues that rely on this important time of the year here is my Christmas list for you.
The Toilet’s Christmas Wish List
- Stock up! Washroom consumables never go out of date so ensure you have enough to get you to the 6th of January. Courier companies always have a backlog post-Christmas so deliveries can be delayed just when you need them most.
- Use space-saving systems so stocking up doesn’t mean you lose an office. See previous blogs on foaming soap and toilet paper
- Increase toilet checks. Toilets need more frequent checks when you are busy – don’t rely on a customer to tell you when something is wrong.
- Cleaning. Try to build in at least one extra ‘clean’ during the day. Using a biological washroom product will reduce smells and a build-up of organic material.
- Act on a problem. If a urinal is blocked don’t just put it out of use and wait until January to fix. If one goes, others get used more and this exacerbates the issue so get someone in to fix it.
- Ensure you have an emergency contact list that includes your Plumber, Electrician, Supplies and Services and let staff know where it is.
- Check with your service company when they will be in over the festive period. And make sure they stick to it. It’s important to your business – it should be to theirs.
- Set up a donations jar. Christmas is a time of giving so why not ask customers when they spend a penny to make a donation to a worthwhile cause such as Toilet Twinning or a local homeless charity.
Tips for businesses who close
Now for the businesses who close down over the festive period – some tips for them to ensure that the toilets are clean, fresh and still working when everyone returns to work.
- Check your service company schedules. If you have a service due over Christmas contact your service company explain you will be closed and arrange an alternative date (preferably before you close).
- Urinals – if you don’t have water management systems installed – install them. Instead of wasting water down the drain they can be adjusted to flush down once a day. This prevents the u-bend drying out and the drain smells coming back from the sewer
- Ensure that the washrooms are cleaned prior to holidays starting and pay special attention to:
- Toilet bowls. Clean inside and out and leave lid down to prevent evaporation.
- Waste paper bins. Ensure they are empty: they make great nests for mice.
- Any leaks are fixed. A small drip could be a torrent after two weeks.
- Stocks. Just make sure you have enough essentials to last the first week back. Deliveries are notoriously unreliable the first week back after the holidays.
There you have it – some easy steps to ensure you have hassle-free washrooms before, during and after the Christmas break.