17 Jan The Holidays are coming – part 2
Christmas is nearly upon us and the toilet or washroom area can be a tricky place to deal with over the festive period – depending on what type of business you have.
In part 2 of this Christmas Blog I will look at the businesses that close down for two weeks or longer over the festive period and some of the things you need to do to ensure that your toilets are clean, fresh and still working when everyone returns to work.
- Check your service company schedules. If you have a service due over Christmas contact your service company explain you will be closed and arrange an alternative date (preferably before you close).
- Urinals – if you don’t have water management systems installed – install them. Instead of wasting water down the drain they can be adjusted to flush down once a day. This prevents the u-bend drying out and the drain smells coming back from the sewer
- Ensure that the washrooms are cleaned prior to holidays starting and pay special attention to:
- Toilet bowls. Clean inside and out and leave lid down to prevent evaporation.
- Waste paper bins. Ensure they are empty: they make great nests for mice.
- Any leaks are fixed. A small drip could be a torrent after two weeks.
- Heating. If you are planning to switch the heating off, drain down the pipes but this is a lot of work. Much better to keep the heating on low to prevent any pipes freezing should here be a cold snap.
- Stocks. Just make sure you have enough essentials to last the first week back. Deliveries are notoriously unreliable the first week back after the holidays.
There you have it five easy steps to ensure you have hassle free washrooms before, during and after the Christmas break.
Sign up for our regular newsletter full of toilet tips and humour. Follow me on Twitter @thetoiletexpert